Monday, May 3, 2010

Literacy is Everywhere

These are a couple pictures from my vocabulary lesson. While you did the activity, if you were to walk into my gym class and see this on the wall, you would know that the kids are learning vocabulary of various sports. The way I went about teaching the vocabulary incorporated literacy as well because the students would have to read the word and then work together by communicating about where the vocabulary word fit. I have been viewing literacy in physical education more about demonstration and physical doing, but reading and writing is also very important in the physical education class. Students need to be able to read about a sport to help them learn the rules and strategies of the game. It is also important that they can write about what they are doing and use the vocabulary from the unit to have success during the game. One of the tools I plan to use on a regular basis in my classroom will be a study guide that students will be required to read and understand.

When I started this class, I was one of those physical education people who was bothered by the idea that I would have to teach literacy in the my gym class. I have really changed my opinion because of my understanding of literacy. Literacy is everywhere including physical education class. There is a time and place for reading and writing in phy ed but I think that finding a way to balance everything is going to be the key to a quality classroom. I never realize how much I can incorporate literacy into my classroom while being in motion. After doing this lesson, I know that in my gym I want lots on the walls that encourages students to read without even realizing they are reading. I plan on having not only word walls, but inspirational sayings and rules of various activities posted so there is never any question as to what the expectation in my class is.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed your lesson Michel. I think we talked about this in class, but there is a learning technique called Total Physical Response. The idea is that we remember things better that are attached to some type of movement.
    I felt that I was remembering more during your lesson because I was moving. Both my brain and my body were active. As a physical education teacher I imagine that you are in a unique position to harness this ability.

    ReplyDelete