Friday, April 30, 2010

Literature and Music



Like literature I believe music "speaks" to the listener. Music has a profound way of evoking the listeners emotions just as literature does. Music often tells a story sometimes with words - sometimes without. When I saw this violinist serenely strumming his instrument on the streets of Las Vegas, I could not help but stop and see if his music told a story. I did not recognize the song, but what I did realize was that his music carried meaning for him. His facial expression was one of solemnity and grace. How he felt about the music was unclear. What I did perceive from his stature was that this was the way he made his living. Perhaps his song told the story of his life catering to those that love music. Listening to the soft and beautiful sounds of the violin induced memories of a sad time in my life and carried for me, an entirely different meaning. The music told a different story.

In this way music and language arts are delicately intertwined in the sense that the person who receives the message is the one who interprets its meaning. The artist (author, poet, musician etc) often cannot control how their message is perceived. That is part of the beauty and adventure of reading a great work of literature or listening to a breathtaking piece of music. Individual interpretation is key to the experience.

1 comment:

  1. Michele, I really like your photo and your comments. Very thought-provoking. It reminded me of a time when I came upon a band playing in a town square in Oaxaca, Mexico, and the music was so pretty it brought tears to my eyes. I love listening to music outside, where the sounds aren't trapped by walls and can just flow away with the wind. What you say about the way music can evoke different sensations is really true. Music can also unite a crowd, or a dance party. It really is quite powerful. I think about music literacy when I watch my band director lead our band of 40 people. Somehow, he can hear when a particular section or even person is out of tune. As a percussionist, I don't have the same ability to differentiate sounds that he does, and it always amazes me.

    ReplyDelete